A key infrastructure in SPECS is the eXperience Induction Machine (XIM), an immersive room equipped with a number of sensors and effectors that has been constructed to conduct experiment in mixed-reality.
XIM covers a surface area of 5.5m x 5.5m, with a height of 4m. The majority of the instruments are mounted in a rig constructed from truss elements. The space is equipped with the following devices:
● 1 infrared cameras at the top of the rig provide a ”bird’s eye view”
● 3 directional microphones in the center provide the system with auditory input to localize visitors and to recognize specific sound events.
● 16 speakers with the corresponding sound equipment.
● The space is surrounded by 4 projection screens (2.25m x 5m), 8 video projectors are used for displaying content.
● The floor of the space consists of 72 custom built tiles. Each floor tile is on the one hand equipped with pressure sensors, and on the other hand incorporates individually controllable RGB neon tubes allowing to display patterns and light effects on the floor.
XIM applications include:
3D reconstruction of the Bergen Belsen concentration camp http://www.belsen-project.specs-lab.com/
“Ada – the intelligent space” XIM is an abstraction and further development of its predecessor, the installation “Ada – the intelligent space” that was built for the Swiss national exhibition Expo02. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0hQtYk80rA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R9624xV7JM